Thursday, November 20, 2008

consequences

My kids and my husband are out watching Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream at Pook's school. The third through fifth grade children are performing. Some parent has connections to a local university's Shakespeare program and this is an annual event. I'd love to see how they adapt it for the little ones. I can't wait to hear Bug's take on it. He might be good at theatre, considering how much pretend he does at home daily.

I will be at traffic court for the fender bender I had last month. Not sure what to expect. I'm bringing a book in case it gets boring and I'm bringing cash in case I get a fine. Loved explaining why I'd miss Shakespeare when the kids asked. Then CD mentioned bringing money. "Why do you need money?" "If the judge thinks I did a bad thing I might get a consequence and have to pay money." (They know the word "consequences" very, very well!)

If they hadn't had the play going on I would have considered taking them along for the learning experience. Plus, what judge would be hard on me in front of them? Instead I'm on my own. Hope I can find the right building in the dark- I'm due at 7pm. I'm not particularly nervous yet, but I will be. Pleased to say I've never done anything like this before. I'm grateful that I'm just going to the tiny city court near us and not downtown county or downtown Atlanta. I've done jury duty at both of those and neither is in a location I'd enjoy visiting at night, alone.

Off I go. If there's anything worth following up with on either of the evening's activities, I'll do it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get here soon enough to wish you good luck, but I hope all went well and the consequences weren't too severe!

    ReplyDelete