Sunday, February 20, 2011

quiche masochist

CD called me a quiche masochist.  I was thinking that I'm more of a quiche manipulator.  I always love the quiches that other people make, but mine are a bit... inconsistent.  I'm just not much of a recipe follower.  I like the idea on a recipe, but I don't have or I don't like or I don't want to use all the ingredients.  No problem!  Make it up!  Change it!  Substitute!  Well, I've mentioned before that this gets me into trouble with quiche.

I keep planning to make side-by-side quiches with my mom.  We'd both make crusts, we'd use the same amount of egg and milk and we'd cook the veggies and drain any liquids identically.  Having not done that yet, I got suckered into printing out another quiche recipe I found online. 

Is it necessary to give the author credit when I didn't follow her recipe?  Just in case you want it, it was on a blog called "For the Love of Cooking" and gracefully called "Jalapeno Chicken Sausage,  Mushroom, Smoked Black Pepper White Cheddar, and Tomato Potato Crusted Quiche".  Yeah.  I used the crust and the egg from that.

Here is what turned out great for dinner:
Potato Crusted Leek Quiche
2 large potatoes, grated and patted very dry
cooking spray
salt & pepper
     *Spray pie pan and pat potato into the pan on bottom and sides.  Spray again and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.  I'm tempted to put it into a cold oven while preheating to encourage more browning on the bottom of the crust.  Do this cautiously.

3 leeks, dark green removed, rinsed well and sliced
olive oil
salt
     *Saute leeks until soft and most water has evaporated.

3/4 c. chopped swiss cheese
7 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 c. milk
freshly ground pepper

     *Sprinkle cheese into baked potato crust, then pour in leeks and egg-milk combination.  Bake 30-40 minutes and test with a toothpick.  Cook a few minutes before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I love the idea of a potato crust. I'm not much of a recipe follower either. Except when baking. With baking I always try it as is the first time.

    ReplyDelete