Monday, February 11, 2008

k-i-s-s-i-n-g

I see now where it all comes from. The twelve year old has a ten year old brother whose ten year old friend has an eight year old brother whose eight year old friend has a six year old brother whose six year old friend has a four year old brother whose four year old friend is my son. And so playground culture is passed down through the generations. But like the game of telephone, it changes too.

"Jackson and Kate sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-N-B-B. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage." I remember that one. Brings back memories. But this isn't the whole rhyme. I don't know if I was just out of the loop as a kid or if this is new, because then followed: "That's not all, that's not all. I saw the baby drinking alblocal."

What?! What is that eight year old neighbor of mine teaching my son?! Do any of them know what they're saying? Should I discuss this with them? Should we talk first about how babies are made or about the concerns I have about babies drinking alcohol? And, should I teach Bug to spell?

Ok. I'm calm again and done over-reacting. They were pretty funny. But a baby drinking alcohol? Who made that part up? Let's go back to the original rhyme.

0 comments:

Post a Comment