Friday, September 19, 2008

can you see?

I bought myself reading glasses today. Can you tell? I've been putting this off for a while. I think my eyes changed six weeks after I turned forty. I'd been led to believe that this was a change that happened in your forties not immediately after blowing out your candles. It started with ingredient lists and then medicine dosages. I held things further away and got better lighting. And, really, my arms are still long enough to get by. This was my father's rule of thumb for needing reading glasses.

He, like I, had 20/20 vision his whole "youth". My eyes are my best feature and having perfect vision was a source of pride. I had them tested at age 38, figuring it had been a mere twenty years since I'd had them tested last (heading out to college). The Dr. pronounced them perfect and then added, "See you in a few years." "When?" I asked. "Oh, you'll know." (This is the exact same comment my midwife gave me when I asked when to go to the hospital to deliver Pook.)

Yeah, I knew. So, I decided it was time. They're very simple, almost invisible on me, with no rims and redish gold sides. Only problem is that I can't get the huge plastic tag off them. So really, this is a lie. Everything still looks like

this.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. Happened to me, too. However, as I get closer to 50 (still 3 years away!), I find that my vision is getting worse. My reading glasses aren't doing the trick like they were a few years ago. Guess it's time for another prescription. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete