Thursday, August 16, 2012

recipe

I have had multiple requests for my Perfected Pimento Cheese. I must have made it a dozen times with variations on ingredients, only to find fault with all of them. The flavor was sometimes good, but the texture all wrong. I grated the cheese by hand (good, but annoying) I tried putting in cream cheese (not helpful to flavor) I tried adding cottage cheese (had potential). Finally I realized it wasn't ingredients as much as technique.  So experiment with flavors you like, but treat the stuff gently.

Grate 1 lb. sharp cheddar with fine blade of food processor and remove it to a large bowl.
Blend  with food processor:
1 c. cottage cheese
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3-5 T. mayonnaise
1 tsp+ Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
Mix 4 oz. pimentos into mayo blend
Pour over grated cheese and gently fold it in.

Some people like grated onion, garlic or jalepeno in their cheese. These are fine, but not what I was looking for. But, I think the ingredients are personal and the gentle mixing is what finally gave it the fluffy texture I wanted.

Maybe I'll make granola bars this week too. I've finally perfected that one to my tastes too!

1 comment: