Tuesday, April 7, 2009

camping and shopping and sleeping (pick two)

It is Spring Break. The boys are going camping for two nights with two friends and the dads. Two nights. That seems interesting enough, but then I realized that also means two days. I'm going out to dinner one night with the mom of the other kids, as she, too, celebrates some independence. But she works days, so won't be free to play with me the rest of the time. I'm not really sure what to do with myself. Two days here in the house with no kids. No carpools to drive. No arguments to break up. No cooking required of me. No laundry.

I'm thinking of painting the kitchen or building a retaining wall around one of my new azaleas. Both of those are things I actually want to do, and both need to be done. But somehow this feels like the wrong time for them. Productivity is the norm of my days. This is an unusual, probably one-time opportunity. I almost have a responsibility to be unproductive.

Instead, I think I'm going to do some shoe shopping. Right now I have only two pairs I can comfortably wear and it just isn't cutting it. I've got a running shoe which I never used to wear except to go to the gym. Now I hang out in them all the time. I also bought an expensive but good pair of black clogs which I've been living in. I tried a cute, expensive, and supposedly supportive shoe which would have bridged the seasons well, but doesn't seem to accommodate both me and the orthotic I'm now wearing regularly. I'm not sure what type of sandal I can wear with the insert either, but there must be something. I'm a barefoot person in the summers, or at least I used to be and wish I was still allowed. On doctor's orders, I am not to walk around barefoot.

So. Shoe shopping. Dinner with a friend. Lunch with a friend. Cuddling on my sofa with a good book and a cup of tea. In preparation, I have ordered a chick-flick to watch, and cracked open Wuthering Heights.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, my husband has plantar fasciitis and says a friend just recommended these shoes for summer. Might want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete