Wednesday, March 5, 2008

be good

Today Bug climbed out and tossed a "love you Mama" my way before prancing off. I had forgotten to tell Pook "I love you" when I dropped him off this morning, so it was particularly poignant for me today. I hate when I forget to tell them good bye.

My father used to call, "Learn something!" to me as I left for school. I rolled my eyes. And if he'd ask at dinner what I'd learned, I couldn't come up with anything. Sorry, Dad.

For the first year and a half of Bug's preschool, I told him to "Have a good day" as I said goodbye. Then one day he caught me in my tracks and asked why I always told him to be good. Hmm? For all that time, he'd thought I was reminding him to have good behavior. Wow. I really don't want my kids to think their behavior is that high on my priority list for them. While I do, of course, want them to behave at school, I revamped my goodbyes to really tell them what I really hope for their day.

Have fun! Be good! Learn something!

0 comments:

Post a Comment