My friend, Harriet the Spy, is chronicling her summer of vegetables this summer in a new blog. I thought I'd keep track a bit too, partially so that next summer I can get menu ideas from myself!
Now that my parents live nearby, instead of getting a CSA box every other week, I am splitting a weekly box with them. I try to assess the contents so I can buy other items I need while at the green market before heading to Kroger. I haven't bought much produce besides fruit since the CSA began in May. Greens are finishing up however, and I will need to buy lettuce if I want it for the summer. This was our week's menu, Wednesday to Tuesday simply because we pick up our boxes on Wednesdays.
June, Week 4:
CSA split: chard, field peas, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, green beans (They took beets, spinach, some of the potatoes, a cuke and I don't remember what else.)
Bought at market: corn, kale, lettuce
Harvested from our yard: 10 cucumbers, +/-6 cherry tomatoes (who knows how many are in Bug's belly), given 2 beefsteaks from my dad's garden
1. Pasta w/tomato and basil, balsamic vinegar
2. Low country boil w/shrimp, corn, potatoes
3. Sweet Italian sausages w/green beans
4. Pizza, cucumber sticks & cherry tomatoes
5. Clam spaghetti, swiss chard, homemade herb bread by Pook
6. Grilled pork loin, field peas
7. Cheeseburgers, kale, sweet potato fries (frozen)