Friday, January 22, 2010

pizza sticks

Pull out that old bread machine!  I've decided that as long as I don't let it do the baking itself, the machine is great.  I dislike the tough crust mine gets when baked in the machine but these are so fun and easy and good.  Pizza in a stick.

I made breadsticks for the kids lunches once, and sent them to school with some cheese and jarred red sauce for dipping.  Then I got more adventurous.  These are a complete pizza in a stick form.  The cheese, herbs, tomato sauce and even pepperoni are baked right in.  I think I'll still give them some red sauce in the lunchbox, just 'cause dipping food makes everything better.


Pizza Sticks
1 c. cold water
2 c. AP flour
1.5 c. oatmeal
1.5 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp. sugar
1.5 Tbs. butter
1.5 Tbs. dry milk
2 tsp. dry yeast
1/4 c. tomato paste (I did not use spaghetti sauce, so if you do, adjust the flour and herbs to the extra moisture and flavor)
2 Tbs. dried Italian herbs
~20 slices of pepperoni, chopped

I set my machine on "pizza dough" which includes mixing and one rise.  Then I removed the dough and rolled it into sticks (I think mine made 12) and rolled them each in Parmesan cheese.  I gave them about 30 minutes to rise in a warm location, then baked them for 25 minutes.  Oh, the smell!

0 comments:

Post a Comment