Wednesday, December 3, 2008

baking

Today I pulled out the recipe file and picked out Christmas cookie recipes for the year. My baking goal may be a bit extensive, but I already did the gingerbread house at Halloween, so I might succeed. We'll see.

Cookies to Make for Christmas 2008
  • pretzel-Hershey's wreaths with an M&M on top. Easy and good. I already made some on Monday.
  • fruitcake cookies with the recipe I invented
  • nutmeg Christmas cutouts- with my mom when she arrives - and lots of mess with the kids and sprinkles
two of the following:
  • Swedish cookies sliced thin with nuts and powdered sugar
  • "Faith's Grandma's cookies"- I have never made these. But... my memory of them (only eaten once and probably in the 70's) is still strong. Therefore, I think I should finally make them. They call for an entire orange and are rolled in cinnamon sugar. I enjoy the irony that Faith and her grandma are Jewish. Hope she'd approve.
  • "Cookie Store Cat" fruit squares with a shortbread dough and jelly- recipe came from a kid's book... "The Cookie Store Cat" (surprise there!)
Then I'm going to make apple butter* for teachers and neighbors (might give pretzels to some instead) and probably a coffee cake to eat Christmas morning. I'd be smart if I had it half baked and in the freezer before the big morning. That's all!

*I make apple butter by putting unsweetened applesauce in the crock pot with sugar and spices, and coming back for it many hours later. Simple as can be.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I can't wait to start baking Christmas cookies. I might scale back this year though and only make a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, your cookies sound like a diverse group! Good for you tackling that many. The teachers are lucky who have your kids!

    Frances

    ReplyDelete