Wednesday, July 23, 2008

driving directions

Pook has summer homework for his gifted class, and "we" have procrastinated. (I guess I'm no better at this than I was as a teen. I always had homework over the winter holidays and exams when we returned. I hated the schedule because the procrastination would ruin my vacation. Still didn't do it early on, just hated it.) In addition to logging 16 books (making progress on that) he needs to write a movie review, a description of a current event, and needs to "document summer travel".

My bright idea for the travel project was to let Pook choose our route to the beach. After some dawdling, he agreed to look at all the maps I'd ordered. (My theory is that if I make use of AAA for all the free maps, my membership fee will be worthwhile even if I don't have a flat tire or other calamity. I seem to always have a flat tire or dead battery anyway, but I like having updated maps everywhere we go.)

These are his first two attempts:


Route A
Atlanta, GA
Augusta, GA
Columbia, SC
Greenville, SC
Charlotte, SC
Greensboro, NC
Raleigh, NC
Wilmington, NC
(rest of the way)

Route 2
Atlanta, GA
Augusta, GA
Columbia, SC
Charleston, SC
Charlotte, SC
Greensboro, NC
Raleigh, NC
Wilmington, NC
(rest of the way)



Now, he had done a good job, with columns for the road number, the city, the number of miles, and the number of hours (when available). But something tells me we'll never get there unless I get a bit more involved.


0 comments:

Post a Comment