Thursday, January 20, 2011

happy pig, happy cow, happy us

We've had our Happy Cow in the freezer for two months now, but haven't used much of it besides the ground beef.  Now I have some Happy Pig in there too, and Happy Farmer has asked for some feedback on the quality of the Happy Meat.

I have a long list of recipes I make, and most of them use chicken pieces, pork chops or ground beef.  We toss a steak on the grill in the summer sometimes and I put a chuck-o-beef in the crock pot for stew or BBQ now and then.  But my cooking habits aren't in line with my Happy Freezer contents.

CD and I went out in the cold morning to check out the contents of our freezer and make a list so we can Google recipes.  I've got a few plans now. 

For our first pork recipe we decided to keep it simple so we can really taste the meat.  Salt and pepper pan fried chops with Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.  This goes well with pork but could be made with anything.  It originally called for linguine broken in 1/2" pieces.  Ha!  That was so hard on the fingertips if I hadn't had the idea to use orzo it would never have been made again.  Now, simple and good:

Cinnamon Rice Pilaf
2 shallots or 1 small onion
1 c. uncooked rice (of the cook ~20 minutes variety)
2 oz. uncooked orzo (or more orzo and less rice, however you like)
3 T. oil or butter
14 oz. chicken broth
1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. cinnamon

In oven proof skillet, saute onion until opaque.  Add rice and pasta and cook,stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
Add broth, salt and cinnamon.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment