Monday, November 16, 2009

still blooming after all this time

We've had the warm, wonderful fall weather of October during November this year.  Many plants, including the blooming cherry tree next door, are confused.  I'm enjoying it however.  Here are the bloomers at this mid-November date.


Sedum is expected to be a fall bloomer.  Not exciting blooms ever, but a nice consistent garden member.  This plant still has new, unopened buds.


Dry summers are better for lantana so it was a moderate bloomer this year. We used to have a dozen of these bushes across the front of the house but have shared all but the two we keep here.  They are smothered with butterflies during the hot weather. It will hang on until the first freeze and get cut back in the early spring.


Purple Heart:  This will continue to show us it's dainty blooms until our first frost at which time it will "melt".  They are petite, but appreciated all summer and fall.  I have been rooting more all summer and hope to have it spread solid next year.


The camelia in our yard is always an early bloomer. Yesterday I noticed about a dozen white buds.  They only look pretty for a day; the white turns brown so quickly that I don't bring them in to display.


My Knockout Rose has underperformed this first summer.  It is getting more shade than I had hoped.  I may give it another year to establish itself (and see if we get any major trees pruned) before I decide to relocate it.  Nevertheless, it has had several flowers in the past few weeks.  This one made it through our last heavy rain.


Of the four old fashioned roses by my front door, only this one is still producing blooms.  A peek inside shows some darker streaks of color.  These roses are consistent Mother's Day bloomers.  I've never seen them with blossoms this late in the season.


Several surprises in our lower woodlands caught my eye.  This is Flowering Quince, one of our first spring flowers to bloom.  February is the usual time of year for the lovely coral blossoms.  I'll take them anytime.


 The last surprise was a view of a blooming azalea.  There is a cluster of a dozen bushes in our woodlands and one of them has gotten confused and shared pink petals in November.  It is the pinkest fall we've ever had in our yard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment